Sweet potatoes are always a given for a Thanksgiving feast. Try incorporating your usual sweet potatoes into a casserole for a modern twist on this traditional dish.
What you will need:
– 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 8), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
– Coarse salt and ground pepper
– 1/2 cup whole milk
– 4 tablespoons butter
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, *1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 2 cups mini marshmallows or chopped regular marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan, and cover with cold water by 1 inch; salt generously. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife,(15 to 20 minutes).
- Drain, and return to pan. Heat over medium, stirring, until liquid has evaporated and a thin film covers the bottom of the pan, (this should take about 2 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat; add milk, butter, and nutmeg. Mash the mix until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Transfer sweet-potato mixture to a 2-quart baking dish.
- Top casserole with marshmallows and *pecans; bake until center is warmed through and marshmallows are lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart, along with a couple of my preferred ingredients*.